Sunday, August 17, 2008

Meat, meat, meat

So, I think that I may begin a photo-essay of meat sections in local St. Louis grocery stores.  A visual anthropological - social exploration of the intersection between 1) economics 2) cuisine and 3) neighborhood community. 

For example.  Same grocery chain, two different locations. 

1) Ground turkey breast, lamb (ground, chops etc.), decent parts of the pig and cow.  Decent as in - not guts.  Your standard organic/angus ground beef with all the range of fat percentage from 80 to 93.  Chicken breasts, lots of them. 

2) Tripe, pig trotters, an entire smoked meat section, the fattest-loveliest cuts of pig steak and beef steak I've ever seen, 1/4 (of a cow) slab cuts of brisket, 5 pound packages of ground beef (60-73 percent fat, no extra lean on display here.  Let's be honest, not even vaguely lean on display here.).  Lamb - nope.  Ground turkey breast - nope.  Poultry breast bits in general are not the majority - more turkey thighs and chicken thighs then you can shake a stick at. 

Hmmmmm.  Let's see - what kind of neighborhoods do you think these two different stores serve?  You'd probably be right. 

I've got to start dragging my camera along on these adventures.  I know I know.  We live in a visual culture now.  Reading is too hard.  Tough (for now). 

No comments: